[Wu] recently, experts have made a "food Vegetable & Fruit patients after thyroid surgery should avoid" in the newspapers, many patients ask
[Wu] recently, experts have made a "food Vegetable & Fruit patients after thyroid surgery should avoid" in the newspapers, many patients ask me, ask me thyroid cancer, thyroiditis, hyperthyroidism patients cannot eat cabbage, cauliflower, radish and other cruciferous vegetables. It is clear that they do not know the truth (it is difficult for non professionals to understand). After browsing a large number of relevant literature, Dr. Wu also came to talk about this issue, focus on resolving the concerns of everyone.
1, why say cruciferous vegetables such as radish, broccoli can cause goiter?
Research shows that there is a kind of antioxidant substances, glucosinolates cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, radish, broccoli and other plants, under certain conditions, glucosinolates would be hydrolyzed to isothiocyanates. The thiocyanate is a kind of goitrogen, mode of action of goitrogenic effect is competitive inhibition of sodium iodide symporter (NIS) activity, thereby inhibiting thyroid iodine uptake, resulting in decrease in the concentration of thyroxine (T4). Over time, it will cause the body's thyroid hormone production disorder, resulting in goiter.
This effect occurs only when the plasma concentration of thiocyanate is relatively high (4.8-6.4mg/L), and most of the population in our country is well below the thiocyanate concentration. Some people in iodine deficiency area (iodine intake to less than 100ug per day), will lead to thiocyanate / iodine (SCN/I) excretion is relatively low, so low excretion ratio lead to thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) level and thyroxine (T4) concentration decreased.
Effects of some flavonoids will strengthen the thiocyanate inhibition of thyroid, we usually eat some fruits, such as oranges, pears, apples contain flavonoids and grapes are decomposed by bacteria in the intestinal tract, can strengthen the thiocyanate inhibit the uptake of iodine, but not as long as in edible radish, broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables immediately after eating fruit the strengthening effect is not obvious.
There is also a factor that increases the concentration of thiocyanate in the body. Studies have shown that thiocyanate is significantly higher in the serum of smokers, the plasma concentration of thiocyanate in non-smokers is 0.1-0.4mg/L, while the concentration of heavy smokers is generally 5-20mg/L. In addition, the average amount of smoking women in breast milk iodine to 52% less than the iodine content of non-smoking women in breast milk, which also confirmed the thiocyanate can inhibit breast secretion and transport of iodine.
In summary, induce the thiocyanate content too high and the cause of goiter have four: 1) in a short time a large number of cruciferous vegetables eaten with thiocyanate (equivalent to 500g-1000g every day to eat broccoli, cabbage, radish and so on); 2) in the low iodine area, do not eat seafood, do not eat to iodized salt; 3) while eating cruciferous and flavonoid rich fruits; 4) a large number of smoking. At least three of the conditions to meet the needs of the crowd at the same time need to pay attention to this problem.
2, is a good assistant anticancer cruciferous plants
Cruciferous vegetables in glucosinolate, it does not have the anticancer activity of anticancer compounds, but after cooking, cutting, chewing, plant cells are destroyed in some enzymes under the action of glucosinolates formed isothiocyanate (Isothiocyanate), and other active substances such as indole, radish formation. Sulfur etc.. A large number of studies have found that isothiocyanates is a very strong antioxidant, anti-cancer substances, is very beneficial to human health, and can effectively prevent high blood pressure, diabetes, coronary heart disease and other cellular oxidative diseases. As long as the appropriate cooking methods, such as steaming (20 minutes), microwave (for about 3 minutes), stir fry (for about 5 minutes) is beneficial to reduce the intake of thiocyanate, and retain more beneficial to the body of isothiocyanates.
Epidemiological studies show that cruciferous vegetables can reduce the risk of some cancers, such as lung cancer, colon cancer, breast cancer, etc.. The anti-cancer effects of cruciferous vegetables are broccoli prominent (green cauliflower, radish, cabbage, cabbage) etc.. Of course, like other vegetables, anti-cancer effects of cruciferous vegetables may also be a variety of factors (such as vitamins, chlorophyll, carotenoids, flavonoids etc.) the result of joint action, rather than by isothiocyanates.
Because of the anticancer effect of cruciferous plants is huge, "meals guide" China residents in the recommended daily intake of 300~500g of vegetables, cruciferous vegetables (specifically recommend another recommendation about vegetables, should have half is dark vegetables). For the moment people in the oxidation threat, appropriate amount of cruciferous food is an essential daily health delicacy.
3, what patients need to eat thyroid cruciferous food?
Now that we know the cruciferous plants for thyroid effects, and what that patients are not suitable for large eating this kind of food? Dr. Wu summed up, there are so many categories of patients need to pay attention to:
1) smokers: thiocyanate content in the smoking population was significantly higher than that of never smokers suffering from goiter have probability so far more than normal people, this kind of people who eat a lot of cruciferous food should be proper. Of course, cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, cabbage and contain large amounts of antioxidants, health food is also very suitable for smoking. The best way to deal with this problem is to eat more of these foods and improve the body's antioxidant capacity.
2) simple goiter patients: this population is mainly located in the long-term intake of iodine in iodine deficiency area, not food, but with the popularity of iodized salt, such people are few.
3) received 131 iodine patients before treatment: Patients with hyperthyroidism and thyroid cancer, because the mechanism of thiocyanate is competitive inhibition of thyroid iodine uptake, so need to diet such food in an iodine 131 treatment, or will affect the treatment effect. Need to remind that, because the cruciferous plants have anti-cancer powerful antioxidant, thyroid cancer and hyperthyroidism usually should be appropriate to eat some, is helpful to the recovery of disease.
The 4 part:) thyroiditis thyroiditis is sick due to various causes of thyroid cell damage, and repair process of thyroid cells and function, requires a lot of iodine in. At the same time, a lot of thyroiditis itself is due to the free radicals too much, its destruction of thyroid cells contributes to the pathogenesis, so also need a lot of antioxidant nutrients. Therefore, the best doctor eating taboo.
In addition to the above several types of thyroid disease patients need appropriate diet of cruciferous vegetables in special circumstances, the usual hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism and thyroid nodules, thyroid cancer patients should be appropriate to increase the intake of these foods. Especially the usual eating seafood in coastal areas has been eating cruciferous plant populations, can effectively reduce the high iodine for thyroid stimulating effect, which is more rich in antioxidants to protect body cells from various toxic substances invasion.
4, usually cruciferous plants are common?
In plant classification, Cruciferae is Dicotyledoneae, five fork fruit subclass, cauliflower, objective. A total of 378 genera of Cruciferae Plants, 3710 kinds of many herbs, leaves are spicy. There are Chinese cruciferous plants belonging to 98 genera, 420 species. As cruciferous plants are edible vegetables:
1) to Brassica cabbage, cauliflower (broccoli), green cauliflower (broccoli), Chinese cabbage, Chinese cabbage, cabbage, rape, cabbage variety, watercress (watercress), mustard, mustard, potherb mustard, turnips, turnip etc..
2) to radish radish, radish, carrot, green radish, XinLiMei etc..
3) some people like the wild herbs, such as shepherd's purse, Zhuge Cai, Cardamine, Lepidium, arugula etc..
4) belongs to the condiment mustard (Brassica juncea seed), horseradish.
5) there are some Chinese herbal medicines also belongs to cruciferous plants, the most common such as root, radish seed (radish seeds).
6) in the flower is violet cruciferous.
Original articles, please indicate the original author Wu Zhenyu