Adenoid hypertrophy in children need surgery? If not treated, what harm?This is a problem for many parents, today we are going to discuss th
Adenoid hypertrophy in children need surgery? If not treated, what harm?
This is a problem for many parents, today we are going to discuss this issue, for parents to untie the knot.
What is adenoids?
Adenoidal pharyngeal tonsils (adenoids) (Pharyngeal tonsils), is a group of lymphoid tissue, similar (palate) tonsil, attached to the posterior wall of nasopharynx.
If the child is infected, the adenoids experience swelling and inflammation, which may cause permanent hypertrophy. Adenoid hypertrophy, can interfere with breathing, and sinus drainage, make children susceptible to sinusitis, also can make the eustachian tube obstruction, resulting in middle ear infection. Adenoid hypertrophy of adenoids or infected children, usually by surgery with tonsil.
What is the clinical expression of adenoid hypertrophy?
Children's nasopharyngeal cavity is narrow, such as adenoid hypertrophy blocked nostril and pharyngeal ostium of eustachian tube, can cause ear, nose, pharynx and throat and other symptoms.
(1) ear symptoms: pharyngeal ostium of eustachian tube obstruction, caused by secretory otitis media, causing hearing loss and tinnitus.
(2): nasal symptoms often associated with rhinitis, sinusitis, nasal congestion and runny nose and other symptoms. With closed rhinolalia talk, sleep snoring, severe sleep apnea.
(3) pharynx, larynx and lower respiratory tract symptoms: adenoid hypertrophy in children can cause nose obstruction, resulting in children's nose back to the throat, stimulation of the lower respiratory tract mucosa, often caused by a cough at night, prone to bronchitis.
(4): face due to adenoid nasopharynx of children is relatively small, when the adenoid hypertrophy, and by mouth mouth breathing nasal breathing due to respiratory effects, long-term use, will make the hard palate air impact deformation, in the course of time, the development of high arch, facial deformation will appear short thick upper lip and mandible down tilt and nasolabial sulcus disappeared, high arched palate, irregular arrangement of teeth, the upper incisor protrusion, malocclusion, nasal septum buckling, facial muscle activity, not easy to lack of expression, looks like a pig or the ugly duckling, medicine called "adenoid face".
(1) malnutrition: anorexia, vomiting, dyspepsia, and malnutrition in children.
(2) malformation: because of shortness of breath, lung expansion deficiency can lead to thoracic deformity, chicken breast, funnel chest, and even induce pulmonary heart disease.
(3) unresponsive: night of shortness of breath, can make children long-term hypoxia status, endocrine function disorder, cause growth retardation, parents found that children with inattention, mood changes, night terrors, molar, night sweats, bedwetting symptoms. In addition, long-term mouth breathing, stuffy nose, easy to cause the head of ischemia and hypoxia appear listlessness, headache, dizziness, memory loss, unresponsive and so on.
(4) adenoid hypertrophy is one of the most common causes of obstructive sleep apnea hypopnea syndrome (OSAHS). Snoring and sleep apnea is too large for the two main symptoms of sleep, mouth breathing, sweating, headache in the morning, daytime sleepiness, learning difficulties are also common symptoms.
Note that caused by adenoid hypertrophy in children's snoring often ignored by parents, and cause swelling of tonsil together constitute the snoring, special attention should be paid to have no apnea, when necessary, to the hospital for examination of adenoids. Both the electronic laryngoscope and nasal endoscope can be used for the examination of the adenoids, and the nasopharyngeal lateral radiograph has a high reference value.
(5): due to decreased immunity in children's development needs a lot of oxygen, and snoring can make children sleep in severe hypoxia, directly lead to the inadequate development of brain oxygen supply, caused by growth hormone secretion reduced, not only affect the child's height, and decreased body resistance.